When Rathod Shyam, 40, a registered medical practitioner (RMP) had conjunctivitis, he tried treating it with antibiotic drops. To ease the burning sensation, he applied cow's milk and ghee. Within days, his condition worsened, his vision dropped completely and his eyes were covered with a white layer. He consulted a local eye specialist near his village in Maharashta and was devastated when told that he was blinded for life. A former LVPEI Vision Technician advised the family to take Rathod to LVPEI's Seshanna Chennawar Eye Centre in Adilabad, Telangana.
Dr Prabhakar Singh, fellow ophthalmologist posted at the centre, examined the white layer that seemed like severe inflammation due to milk and ghee. Rathod's eyes were cleaned and he was prescribed medication. Overwhelmed at receiving his eyesight back, Rathod says, “In spite of being a medical practitioner, I was ignorant about how vision threatening home remedies can be! I now pledge to create awareness among other people in my village.”